The Apple Watch Series 6 is another step better than the Apple Watch Series 5. But how big is that upgrade? We compare the Apple Watch Series 6 vs Apple Watch Series 5 and look at the specs, design and more.
Apple Watch Series 6 vs Apple Watch Series 5
If you already own an Apple Watch Series 5, you might be wondering what’s new in the Apple Watch Series 6 . Are you unsure whether you should buy a new Apple Watch right now or does your current Apple Watch Series 5 still meet your needs?
And what if you don’t have an Apple Watch yet and see an interesting deal from the Apple Watch Series 5. Which one can you choose best? There are all kinds of scenarios in which it is interesting to look at the differences between the Apple Watch Series 6 vs Apple Watch Series 5 and in this article we will list them.
Apple Watch Series 6 vs Apple Watch Series 5 differences
These are the main differences between the Apple Watch Series 6 vs Apple Watch Series 5 :
- Material and color : The Series 6 is available in two new colors: blue and PRODUCT (RED). The other colors have remained virtually the same. The stainless steel version is available in graphite, but unfortunately it is not for sale in the Netherlands. The range of materials is about the same, although there was also a ceramic Apple Watch Series 5 abroad.
- Thickness : The Apple Watch Series 6 is slightly thinner (10.4mm compared to 10.7mm).
- Display : The always-on display is 2.5 times brighter on the Apple Watch Series 6. In normal use, the brightness is the same.
- Processor : The chip of the Apple Watch Series 6 is about 20% faster, but the chip is also very fast on the Apple Watch Series 5.
- U1 chip : Apple is not actively using the U1 chip yet, but you will find it in the Apple Watch Series 6 . The chip is probably used for the AirTag , with which you can find lost objects.
- Always-on altimeter : With the always-on altimeter in the Apple Watch Series 6 you can always see what altitude you are, not just during workouts.
- Oxygen saturation sensor: The biggest difference: with the Apple Watch Series 6, you measure the oxygen level in your blood.
- Wifi : Wifi now also works with 5GHz in the latest Series 6.
- Charging : You can now charge the Apple Watch Series 6 faster. It is fully charged in about an hour and a half.
As you can see, the differences are relatively small. In terms of design, you have more choice with the Apple Watch Series 6, because you can opt for the new blue and red housing. This gives your Apple Watch a new look, but the colors are a bit more difficult to combine with straps. In terms of functionality, you miss the new pulse oximeter with the Apple Watch Series 5.
You measure the oxygen level in your blood with the new sensors and the Saturation app. This can be an important indication of heart defects and more. Although you don’t use this on a daily basis, it can be a decisive factor in choosing the newer model or making the switch. All other extras are a bonus, such as faster charging and better WiFi, but they are very small in our opinion.
Similarities Apple Watch Series 6 vs Apple Watch Series 5
Both models are the same in almost all other functions. Whether you look at the screen size, the battery life or the speaker and microphone: they are the same in both models. The list is therefore too long to mention. If you mainly use the Apple Watch to track workouts, receive notifications, use apps and pay with Apple Pay, it doesn’t really matter which Apple Watch you choose. If you already have an Apple Watch Series 5, then you will get little or no improvements in this area.
Specs Apple Watch Series 6 vs Apple Watch Series 5
In our table you have a look at the differences and similarities between the Apple Watch Series 6 and Apple Watch Series 5 per aspect :
Conclusion Apple Watch Series 6 vs Apple Watch Series 5
The difference between the last two generations of Apple Watch is small. As far as we are concerned, the choice is clear: if you already have an Apple Watch Series 5, then it is not necessary to run to the store for an Apple Watch Series 6. In our opinion, the differences are too small to justify an upgrade unless you can sell the Apple Watch Series 5 for a favorable price and you absolutely want a red or blue Apple Watch. We think the app to measure your oxygen level is not reason enough to upgrade.
If you do not have an Apple Watch yet and you are unsure which one to choose best, it depends on whether you can find a good offer. The suggested retail price of the Apple Watch Series 6 and 5 are actually the same, but retailers may now have an interesting offer for the Series 5. If you find a good deal, the Apple Watch Series 5 is also worth considering in 2020.