How can you clean AirPods and get rid of dirt? What resources do you need for this? Read everything about removing dirt from the AirPods, the charging case and cleaning the AirPods Max here.
Have your AirPods, AirPods Pro or AirPods Max sound less loud lately? Or does one earpiece seem to emit significantly less sound than the other? Maybe it’s time to see if there is dirt in the earpiece with this tip on cleaning AirPods, which also includes a look at the dirt in the charging case. We also explain how to clean the AirPods Max .
In this tip you can read about:
- Cleaning AirPods
- Cleaning AirPods Pro
- Cleaning AirPods Max
- Clean the charging case
Cleaning AirPods: do it regularly
If the AirPods start to sound different over time, you may think they are slowly breaking down. But that doesn’t have to be the case; it could also be just dirt that has accumulated in the earpiece. The sound is no longer as loud or is distorted.
Cleaning the AirPods is best done with a brush, for example, a soft toothbrush that you no longer use or a nail brush. This works in the same way as with the wired EarPods, which Apple supplies with the iPhone as standard. With the AirPods, air circulation must be possible between the grille at the back and the ear opening. You can also use a dry cotton swab to clean the microphone and speaker mesh.
Another solution is to use a kneading eraser, for example, Tesa Tack. With a kneading eraser, you can easily remove ear dirt such as ear wax from the AirPods, so that they look like new again. You can also use a soft, lint-free cloth for the exterior. Finally, you can clean the microphone and speaker mesh with a dry cotton swab.
Also, keep the following things in mind:
- Do not allow liquid to get into any openings.
- Do not use sharp objects or abrasive materials.
Cleaning AirPods Pro
Do you want to clean AirPods Pro? That is a bit easier. You can remove the rubber ear-tip from the AirPod. You can then hold the ear-tip under the tap and dry it with a microfiber cloth. When the ear-tip is dry again, simply click it back on the AirPod. It may help to soak the ear-tip in a bath of soap for a few minutes to loosen the dirt a bit. A quick rinse is then sufficient.
The AirPods Pro are also IPX4 water-resistant. So it is not a disaster if water gets on the ears.
Cleaning AirPods Max
Cleaning the AirPods Max is a bit more complicated than the other AirPods because the headphones consist of several parts. If you want to clean the outside of the AirPods Max, do the following:
- Use a soft, dry, lint-free cloth to wipe the exterior. You can also wipe the inside of the ear cups with the same cloth after you have removed the ear pads.
- If your AirPods Max has been exposed to soap, perfume, sunscreen, oil or other liquids, clean the headphones with a cloth lightly dampened with clean water. Then dry it with a soft, dry, lint-free cloth.
- Let the AirPods Max dry completely before using it again.
- Make sure that no moisture gets into the openings. Also, don’t use sharp objects to clean the AirPods Max.
You may want to use a cotton swab to get to hard-to-reach areas.
Clean ear pads and headband
To clean the AirPods Max ear pads and headband, follow these steps:
- Remove the ear pads from the AirPods Max. If you want to clean the headband, turn the AirPods Max upside down.
- Mix 5 milliliters of liquid detergent with 250 milliliters of water in a clean container.
- Dab a lint-free cloth in the liquid and wring it out. Rub the damp cloth gently over the ear pads and the headband for one minute.
- Dab a separate cloth in clean water and use it to clean the ear pads and headband.
- Use a soft, dry, lint-free cloth to dry the parts.
- Let the headphones dry for at least a day before reattaching the ear pads.
To clean the Smart Case of the AirPods Max, use a soft, dry, lint-free cloth. You can dab the cloth in a little rubbing alcohol to remove stubborn dirt.
Clean the charging case
All kinds of dirt can also accumulate in the storage box of the AirPods and AirPods Pro. You can blow out the two openings in which you insert the AirPods if they contain dust. A cotton swab is also very suitable for this. With that you can also immediately clean the many ridges inside the box. If the dirt has built up, it helps to put your cotton swab in a warm, soapy solution first. Some people prefer to use white vinegar or alcohol, but the dirt must be very sticky. For the outside, you can also use a microfiber cloth, if necessary with a little alcohol of 70%.
A wooden toothpick can help reach the narrowest ridges in the charging case. This works very effectively, especially in combination with a wet cleaning cloth.
Keep in mind the following points:
- Do not use abrasive materials to clean the charging case.
- Do not allow liquid to enter the charging ports. This can damage the case.
Don’t have AirPods or AirPods Pro yet? Read all about buying AirPods in the article below.