With four new iPhones, there is more choice than ever. But which iPhone 12 model should you choose best? That mainly depends on your use. In this article, we compare the four phones with each other on the points that matter.
iPhone 12 models compared: which one do you choose?
The iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro can be ordered from tomorrow, the iPhone 12 mini and Pro Max will follow in November. Despite this ‘smeared’ release, many people will make their choice today or tomorrow. Techlargest lends a hand: which iPhone 12 suits you best? We compare the four devices extensively with each other.
iPhone 12 models compared
We start with the price: probably the most important reason for many people to choose a specific model. Prices vary widely this year, for various reasons. First of all, the size of the screen determines the price: the bigger, the more expensive.
It is important to remember that the iPhone 12 Pro has 128GB of internal memory as standard and the entry-level model of the iPhone 12 is equipped with 64GB of storage. The starting prices are as follows, with the price increasing if you choose a model with more internal memory. View all prices in our iPhone 12 price overview.
- iPhone 12: from 909 euros.
- iPhone 12 mini: from 809 euros.
- iPhone 12 Pro: from 1159 euros.
- iPhone 12 Pro Max: from 1259 euros.
Good news for iPhone 12 (mini) enthusiasts: all four iPhones are equipped with the same OLED display from this year. Apple calls it a ‘Super Retina XDR display’. In practice, it means that the screens of the Pro models are very similar to those of last year, but that the iPhone 12 is making considerable progress compared to the 11.
Last year, the OLED screen was one of the reasons for choosing the iPhone 11 Pro over the iPhone 11, but that is no longer the case this year.
- iPhone 12: 6.1-inch OLED screen, resolution: 2532 by 1170 pixels.
- iPhone 12 mini: 5.4 inch OLED screen, resolution: 2340 by 1080 pixels.
- iPhone 12 Pro: 6.1-inch OLED screen, resolution: 2532 by 1170 pixels.
- iPhone 12 Pro Max: 6.7-inch OLED screen, resolution: 2778 by 1284 pixels.
The camera is mainly the place where you will see the differences between the iPhone 12 and the Pro models. First of all, the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini both have a dual camera lens, the Pro and Pro Max get a telephoto lens and the new LiDAR scanner. Portrait photos and augmented reality are improved with this scanner.
Due to the extra lens, the iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max can also zoom better without losing quality. The Pro and Pro Max have up to four times optical zoom, the iPhone 12 and 12 mini have to do with twice. Of course, you can also zoom digitally in addition to optical. The front camera is the same for all devices: a 12-megapixel selfie camera.
- iPhone 12: dual 12-megapixel camera lens: ultra-wide-angle and a wide-angle lens.
- iPhone 12 mini: dual 12-megapixel camera lens: ultra-wide-angle and a wide-angle lens.
- iPhone 12 Pro: Triple 12 megapixel camera lens: ultra wide-angle, wide-angle, Telephoto lens, LiDAR scanner.
- iPhone 12 Pro Max: Triple 12 megapixel camera lens: ultra wide-angle, wide-angle, Telephoto lens, LiDAR scanner.
Design and colors
The eye is of course also important. Although all four iPhones have a new design, there are some visible differences. For example, the Pro models have a stainless steel rim and the 12 and 12 minis are made of aluminum. In addition, there is mainly a difference in the available colors. As with the iPhone 11, the cheaper iPhones are a lot more colorful.
- iPhone 12: Red, Blue, Green, Black, White.
- iPhone 12 mini: Red, Blue, Green, Black, White.
- iPhone 12 Pro: Silver, Black, Gold, Blue.
- iPhone 12 Pro Max: Silver, Black, Gold, Blue.
Because the iPhones are not yet in the shops, there is also some uncertainty about the exact specifications of the devices. Yesterday, for example, a first benchmark test appeared which would show that the iPhone 12 has 4GB of RAM and the iPhone 12 Pro is equipped with 6GB of RAM. That would make the Pro iPhones better at running multiple apps at the same time or performing heavy processes.
- iPhone 12: 4GB RAM, Face ID, Barometer, Gyroscope, Accelerometer, Proximity sensor, Ambient sensor
- iPhone 12 mini: probably 4GB RAM, Face ID, Barometer, Gyroscope, Accelerometer, Proximity sensor, Ambient sensor
- iPhone 12 Pro: 6GB RAM, Face ID, Barometer, Gyroscope, Accelerometer, Proximity sensor, Ambient sensor
- iPhone 12 Pro Max: probably 6GB RAM, Face ID, Barometer, Gyroscope, Accelerometer, Proximity sensor, Ambient sensor.
The four devices have received the same IP68 certification. This means that you can keep the device at a depth of 6 meters for up to 30 minutes. We still wouldn’t go swimming with it, but if it accidentally falls into a bowl of water, it should just keep working.
Also good to know: all four iPhones are equipped with ‘Ceramic Shield’, an extra-strong protective layer that, according to Apple, provides up to four times better protection in case of falls. However, we would just put a cover on it, just in case.
Connections and support
Another thing the four iPhones are right: they are all equipped with support for 5G. For the Netherlands, this is especially a nice function to have already, because the 5G network will only be available here in the coming years. However, if you buy a new iPhone, it is good to know that you can still take advantage of 5G in a few years’ time.
The iPhones also all support the new MagSafe connection. This magnetic connection on the back makes wireless charging (with the right chargers) easier and faster and enables new accessories. You can also charge all iPhones wirelessly.
While there are more iPhones than ever to choose from, they are simultaneously closer to each other than ever. The choice for which device suits you will mainly depend on the price, the screen size and what you want to use the camera for. The screens are identical in quality, the devices run on the same processor and have the same new design. So what should you choose now?
- iPhone 12: The best choice for most people. With the switch from LCD to OLED, the iPhone 12 has just as beautiful a screen as the Pro variants, which was always a downside until now. The dual camera lens shoots beautiful photos that will be more than enough for most people and with 4GB of RAM and the new A14 chip you can run the latest apps for years without any problems. Add to that the support for 5G and you get one of the best iPhones in years.
- iPhone 12 mini: Everything we said about the iPhone 12 above also applies to the iPhone 12 mini. In addition to the advantages of the iPhone 12, are you looking for a device that is a hundred euros cheaper, or do you want one of the most compact smartphones of the moment? Then the iPhone 12 mini is an even better choice for you. Certainly, because of the screen, the camera and the specs are identical to its big brother.
- iPhone 12 Pro: Are you a professional photographer, or are you always busy with your smartphone camera for some other reason? Then the iPhone 12 Pro might be worth the extra money. The LiDAR scanner and the additional lens enable new things in photography and video recording. The screen is also slightly larger than that of the iPhone 11 Pro from last year. As the name suggests, the iPhone 12 Pro is really intended for the professional user this year.
- iPhone 12 Pro Max: Everything above for the iPhone 12 Pro also counts for the Pro Max, with the only difference being the larger screen. Can’t smartphone screens be big enough for you? Then the iPhone 12 Pro Max with its 6.7-inch display is the best choice. You will have to pay a substantial additional price for that.