You can rename your iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, and Apple TV at any time. In this tip you can read how to adjust the name via the settings, so that it is easier to recognize when making backups and sending files.
Rename your device
When you start using your iPhone , iPad or iPod touch , it will automatically be given a name, for example ‘iPhone from Erik’. That is not only boring, but also inconvenient if you have multiple iPhones or iPads. With a unique name you not only recognize specific models, but you also know for sure that the device is yours. In addition to your iPhone and iPad, you can also change the name of your Mac, Apple TV and Apple Watch . This is how you change the name of your Apple devices.
- iPhone and iPad
- Apple TV
- Apple Watch
The name of your iPhone, iPad, and Mac is especially important if you want to exchange files with others via AirDrop or if you want to use your iPhone’s Personal Hotspot. Others should then be able to recognize your device and it helps if a recognizable name is visible. However, there may also be situations in which you do not want to use your own name, for example when you consider your privacy important. In that case, you can choose a name that is very recognizable to friends and family, but not to others, such as a nickname.
Rename iPhone or iPad
The easiest way is to change the name on your iPhone or iPad itself. To do this, take the following steps:
- Go to Settings > General > About .
- The first line shows the current name of your iOS device.
- Tap this. You will now be taken to a subsequent screen.
- Give the device a new name and tap Done.
Your iDevice’s new name will automatically sync with Finder. In Finder you will now also see your iPhone or iPad under this new name. But you can also change the name in Finder:
To rename via Finder on Mac , do the following:
- Open Finder on your Mac.
- Make sure your iPhone or iPad is connected. This can be done both with a cable and wirelessly.
- Select your device in the left column.
- Then double-click on the name of your iPhone or iPad.
- Enter the new name.
Your Mac’s computer name is used when you share your Mac on a network, as well as in Find My Mac and for AirDrop . You can change your Mac computer name by following these steps:
- Open System Preferences .
- Click the Share option .
- Enter the new name after Computer name.
Rename Apple TV
You mainly use the name of your Apple TV for AirPlay . Especially if you have several Apple TVs, a recognizable name can come in handy. This ensures that you are streaming to the correct Apple TV. How to change the Apple TV name:
- On the Apple TV, launch the Settings app.
- Go to General > About and click Name .
- Now enter the new name.
If you have an Apple TV 4 or newer with tvOS 11.4 or later, you can also change the name via the Home app:
- Open the Home app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Find your Apple TV and hold the button.
- Tap the gear at the bottom right.
- In the next screen you can enter the name.
Rename Apple Watch
If you use multiple Apple Watches , it is best to give each watch its own name. You can change the Apple Watch name with these steps:
- Open the Watch app on your iPhone.
- In the My Watch section, tap General > About .
- At the top, tap Name . Now enter the name of your Apple Watch here .
With a new name, iCloud backups are easier to recognize. The same goes for AirDrop , AirPlay , Find My iPhone and other features.